Wednesday 22 August 2012

From Couch to Anywhere She Sets Her Sights

It has been great to watch as my friend MJ has set and achieved her running goals and transformed her post-baby body!  Here's what she has to say about it:


I started running after gaining a LOT of weight while pregnant.  For me, driving from Warman to Saskatoon to a gym just wasn’t an option and as much I love the elyptical, the road was right outside my front door.  It didn’t have opening and closing times. It didn’t have perfectly fit twenty somethings in perfectly fitting lulu lemon work out gear making me feel self conscious. It didn’t have a monthly fee (BONUS) and it worked around my new mom schedule (or rather, lack of a schedule as I was a first time mom and had no schedule).

After starting in the Fall, 3 months post baby, I was happy to be outside and active again.  I started using a “Couch to 5km” running app to help me along the way.  It was a simple run - walk guide that gradually built me up from couch to a 5 km run.  After that, I moved up to the couch to 10km running app.  By this time I had been able to talk to Janaya and Sarah (another mutual running friend of ours) about running more and following a program and planning for bigger and brighter goals.  

When I saw Janaya and Jadah cross the finish line at the Sask Marathon in May, I knew I wanted the challenge of a half marathon and decided to commit.  I now can run 0-10km without walking and it is a great feeling.  I just finished my 4th 10km race in August and celebrated by buying new running gear from lululemon.  I'm down 3 sizes and 75 lbs since the fall/winter!
  
I’m signed up for my first half marathon this November in Vegas with Janaya and some other friends.  Can’t wait!  



Thanks MJ! I can't wait to run with you in Vegas and celebrate your first half marathon!!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go MJ! I am so proud of your dedication even when life doesn't make it easy. You are doing an awesome job, and I am looking so forward to running 2 races with you in the not so distant future! You are going to rock them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The couch in some form or another has been around since ancient timesIt may be simple couch or sectional couch but they provide the touch of modernity and sophistication in home.

    ReplyDelete